A Good health is the best asset that anybody can possess. Maintaining it requires some careful planning and adoption of preventive healthcare measures. This is especially relevant for seniors because aging is a major risk factor for most diseases. With weakened immune systems, aged people are more vulnerable to a number of infections and dangerous viruses. Therefore checking vital health parameters and undergoing clinical tests regularly promotes their well-being.
Periodic health check-up for senior citizens tracks and monitors their health status. It also prevents substantial mental and physical trauma by early disease detection and cure by timely medical intervention. Hence, having master health check-ups is important for elders as it benefits them in the following ways-
- Promotes awareness and healthy aging
- Reduces risk of many non-communicable diseases including cardiac problems, osteoporosis and diabetes
- Early detection enhances speedier recuperation
- Increases probability of recovery
- Minimizes hospitalization and healthcare expenses
- Prevents the onset of other chronic conditions and disabilities which can cause life-long impairments
- Helps in leading a better quality of life in a stress-free healthy atmosphere
- Reduces mortality rates where a substantial portion of the population is succumbing to illnesses as they are exposed to risk factors at a young age (particularly in developing nations)
Health Screening Packages for the Elders
Several preventive healthcare and screening packages are available for senior citizens to assess various health conditions. Most hospitals and diagnostic centres offer comprehensive and customized healthcare packages at attractive discounted rates for catering to varying needs of the elders. These tests are carried out by qualified doctors and technicians using modern diagnostic equipment which enables reliable and fast investigation and timely dissemination of medical reports for appropriate prognosis and treatment.
Senior Citizen Master Health Check is one such popular screening procedure. It includes the following diagnostic tests:
- Complete Haemogram(Blood test)
- Urine analysis
- Stool test
- Chest X-Ray
- Lipid Profile test
- Thyroid profile Test
- Kidney function test
- Liver function test
- Cardiac tests like Electrocardiogram(ECG) and Tread Mill test
- Abdominal Ultrasound Sonogram
- Physical Examination
- Eye Screening
- Dental Screening
- Pap Smear and Mammogram(for women)
- Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) test (for men)
This is usually followed by a Consultation with a Senior Physician who reviews the reports and medical summary and suggests the treatment route map if required. Nutrition, Dental, Gynaecology, Surgical, Urology and Orthopaedic Consultation may also be undertaken if required.
Other health packages available for seniors include
- Heart check
- Diabetic check
- Whole Body Check
- Women Wellness Check
Elders need extra care and support for maintaining their health. However, they prefer to dwell in the comfort of their homes despite prevailing health conditions. Geriatric home healthcare offers assistance to such seniors for an independent, safe and comfortable living. It provides professionally trained caregivers who give adequate care and help them. The elders are assisted in activities of daily living, given nursing care if needed, administered relevant medications and therapies, helped in meal preparation and supported by the companionship of caregivers. Geriatric care services also offer residential health check-up packages and doctor visits at home for doing health reviews and handling emergencies.
With diabetes as one of the most prevalent conditions in the aging population co-existing with other diseases, geriatric care has assumed a new dimension. Diabetic care for geriatrics handles this complexity of clinical, cognitive and functional heterogeneity in elders with a comprehensive approach. It includes glycemic control, foot care, nutrition and diet counselling and incorporation of lifestyle changes for better diabetes management.
Prevention is always better than cure-so opt for regular health check-ups and empathetic geriatric care to enjoy hassle-free and blissful aging!