Say the word “Papaya” and instantly you get a reply-“it’s good for eyesight!’. Beyond that, do you know how Papaya is best for elderly care?
Called by Christopher Columbus as the fruit of the angels, Papaya is loaded with anti-oxidants and vitamins that help to rejuvenate the elderly. Let us take a look at the benefits of papaya in elderly care.
Benefits of Papaya in elderly care
Papaya is naturally loaded with iron, folate and fibre and is an excellent Vitamin C supplement. for seniors, Papaya is a life-saver as it
- Reduces the risk of heart disease
Papaya is rich in potassium and vitamins which help to reduce the risk of heart disease.
- An increased intake of potassium is vital to ward off heart disease by consuming papaya on a daily basis.
- The dietary fibre in Papaya reduces LDL cholesterol levels by inhibiting its absorption during digestion.
- Its anti-oxidants like lycopene and carotene along with Vitamin C & E prevent the oxidation of cholesterol. Only oxidized cholesterol will stick to the walls of the arteries and cause heart ailments.
- The folate in Papaya helps to control the homocysteine levels in the blood which might otherwise cause damage to the blood vessels.
- Controls diabetes
- Papaya has low-sugar levels which are just right for diabetics.
- Type 1 diabetic patients need high fibre to lower their blood glucose levels which can be provided by Papaya.
- Papaya helps to prevent the progression of Type 2 diabetes with its fibre content by improving the insulin levels.
- Prevents Cancer
Papaya is powerful in cancer cure.
- The abundant reservoir of antioxidants in Papaya like lycopene, carotene and beta-cryptoxanthin which help in reducing the risk of cancer.
- The beta-carotene present in Papaya is potent in preventing prostate cancer.
- The Isothiocyanates present in Papaya suppress the tumour-forming proteins and eliminate carcinogens.
- The Proteolytic enzymes present in Papaya dissolves the fibrin-protein layer which forms a protective shield around the cancer cells.
- Best for Bone health
Papaya is good for bones too.
- Papaya is a good source of Vitamin K which is vital for the absorption of calcium in our body. Low intake of vitamin K leads to bone fractures.
- The high content of Vitamin C in anti-inflammatory foods like Papaya keeps arthritis at bay.
- Ant -inflammatory food and immunity booster
Papaya is a great immunity booster with its high content of Vitamin C making it one of the greatest anti-inflammatory foods.
- One single serving of Papaya provides more than 200% of the quota of Vitamin C needed to provide immunity from all diseases.
- The Proteolytic enzymes in Papaya help to digest proteins and reduce inflammation
- Is the best food for eyesight
Papaya is the best food for better eyesight due to its rich abundance of Vitamin A.
- The Vitamin A in Papaya prevents age-related macular degeneration and is best for elderly care.
- Flavonoids like lutein and zeaxanthin help seniors to maintain good eyesight even in their advanced years.
- Improves digestion
Papaya is ideal for elderly care as it accelerates digestion
- The fibre content in papaya helps to digest foods easily by improving bowel movements
- One small papaya has 3gms of fibre which is enough to keep you full and energized as it is equivalent to 17 gms of carbohydrates.
- Stress Buster
The 200 mg of Vitamin C Papaya helps to reduce stress. Senior citizens can begin their day with a bowl of papaya to boost their energy and happiness.
The Vitamin C and E in Papaya help to repair wrinkles and damaged cells and helps elders to stay young and healthy.
Papaya is a super-food for elderly care . start with a bowl of Papaya today to keep age and ailments at bay.