The goodness of garlic does not require an introduction. Known for being the natural medicine for so many health issues, this onion family member has been a boon to the mankind. More than a food ingredient, it is considered as an excellent source to ward off many health issues.
Garlic is consumed in many forms such as cooked, roasted and chopped, based on the dish that is being prepared. Apart from the superior ability to make a flat dish to a fabulous dish, garlic also serves as an essential source of excellent medicinal properties.
The relationship between garlic and humans dates back to ancient times. The descriptions on garlic and its health benefits could be found in many ancient scriptures. Ancient Egyptians have used it in their culinary and medicinal preparations and so the Babylonians, Romans and Chinese.
Garlic has the unique healing properties that address common health issues faced by the elderly. Not just the age-related health issues but it is an apt solution for many chronic and seasonal health issues.
Here are a 6 good reasons why garlic should be given a respectable position in your diet chart and in your kitchen cabinet.
- A Natural Remedy for Cold and Flu
- The weather is on a swing with rains and cold conditions. It provides the bacteria and viruses with the ideal conditions to breed and cause multiple health conditions.
- Cold and its associated flu are among the health conditions that could be seen in rainy season.
- Taking two or three garlic cloves per day, in raw or cooked form can alleviate the stuffed nose caused by cold.
- It also improves the immune system and helps your body in being tough on the bacteria and virus, not allowing any health infections.
- Prevents Cardiovascular Diseases
- Many researchers claim that garlic helps in preventing almost all cardiovascular diseases by increasing the activities of antioxidants.
- Garlic is known for lowering the blood pressure, cholesterol and serum triglyceride levels in the body.
- Doctors suggest chewing the garlic cloves in their raw form ensures that all the health benefits are consumed as a whole.
- Improved Bone Health
- Garlic is proven to be very effective when it comes to preventing the bone degeneration that is induced by age-related causes.
- Especially the oil derived from garlic is able to prevent ovariectomy-induced bone resorption.
- All you have to do is consume at least 1 or 2 garlic cloves to prevent bone degeneration that occurs as we age.
- Helps in Preventing Neuro-degenerative Disorders
- Neuro-degenerative disorders such as Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimers and dementia are related to chronic inflammation in the brain.
- Garlic has the medicinal properties that prevent inflammation in the brain by neutralizing the actions of free radicals that cause inflammation.
- Garlic stimulates the enzymes that are produced by liver in order to increase the supply of additional antioxidants.
- Helps Fight Cancer
- Diallylsulfide relieves the oxidative stress that otherwise increase the body toxins, causing damage to cells. Garlic is a great source of diallylsulfide.
- Selenium which is another property of garlic is proven to fight against the carcinogenic agents, DNA mutation and metastatis.
- Garlic also lowers the tumor formation levels in the body, indirectly preventing the chances of cancer.
- Strengthens Immune System
- The presence of phytonutrients, which are antioxidants, fight against the free radicals and flush the toxins out of the body.
- Researches have proven that daily consumption of garlic increases the immunity levels considerably high.
Garlic has profound health benefits that help the body in preventing various health disorders. Try to include it in as many foods as possible to find solutions in natural means to most of the health issues.