With all the diet restrictions and limited access to tasty and delicious food options, the daily munchies become a big concern for seniors as they age. They may have to find a solace for their food cravings in the form of natural foods and fruits.
Figs, popularly known as Anjeer, deserves a special mention among the fruits that serve as the best evening snacks for seniors. The natural sweetness along with a hint of chewy flavor makes it a perfect evening snack for the elders. In addition, various health benefits and nutritional resources are there in this amazing fruit.
Fig is one of the oldest fruits known by the mankind and got itself a place even in the religious epics. The incredible health properties of Anjeer such as energy, dietary fiber, Vitamins, electrolytes, minerals and photo-nutrients are well known and has been a part of the nutritional journey of many.
In fact, this fruit gives every reason to be a part of senior citizen’s diet as it addresses an array of health issues faced by the elderly population. Here is a list of health benefits of this amazing fruit.
- Enhances Digestive Health
- Constipation and improper bowel movements are the most common health issues faced by the elders. Figs relieve constipation and function to improve the bowel movements.
- Consuming at least 4 figs on a regular basis improves the overall digestive health as it is loaded with dietary fiber.
- It adds bulk to the stool allowing to move with ease. In addition, figs are also considered as the natural medicine for diarrhea.
- Fig is one of the commonly recommended fruits by the doctors to treat and soothe the rectum issues such as files and fishers.
- Controls the Cholesterol Levels
- Pectin is a soluble fiber that is believed to control the cholesterol levels in the body and figs carry a healthy amount of pectin.
- In addition, the dietary fiber available in figs ensure that the excessive cholesterol is carried to the colon in order to eliminate it.
- Vitamin B6 increases the levels of serotonin that is responsible to boost the mood while reducing the cholesterol levels.
- Phytosterols help the body to a great extent in order to decrease the natural cholesterol synthesis.
- Prevents Iron-Deficit Anemia
- Iron-deficit anemia is one of the major health conditions faced by the elders due to the reduced iron levels.
- Figs are contented with iron sources. Especially, dried figs are a great source for iron.
- It should be a part of elders diet who have undergone a surgery recently as there are many chances of iron-deficit anemia in them.
- Prevents Age-Related Macular Degeneration
- Macular degeneration is the major cause for vision loss in seniors and figs can help in preventing macular degeneration.
- Figs are a great source for Vitamin A which helps significantly in preventing the macular degeneration.
- Besides, the rich levels of Vitamin A in figs improve the overall vision of the elders.
- Increases the Quality of Sleep
- Our body needs amino acid tryptophan in order to create melatonin, the hormone that is essential to induce sleep.
- Seniors who are suffering from insomnia could consume the dry or fresh figs in order to have a quality sleep.
- The other nutrients of figs such as omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin B3 help your body to rest better and have a sound sleep.
In addition, figs work as the natural medicine for an array of senior-related health issues such as skin issues, being lack of energy, reduced immunity, throat pain, asthma, high blood pressure , decreased muscle and bone strength etc.,
This popular and pear-shaped fruit is available throughout the year both in its flesh and dry forms. It could be consumed as a fruit or take it as an ingredient of various culinary preparations.